(Single pi) “IMPACT: Information-theoretic Multiagent Paths for Anticipatory Control of Tasks”, National Science Foundation (NSF) Robust Intelligence, $240,000, 10/2019 – 9/2022.
(co-pi) “ASETT: Advancing STEM Education Through Transportation Studies“, $200,000, 9/2021 8/2023, PI: McBride, co-PI: Pandey.”, National Science Foundation.
(Visiting Faculty) “Temporal Multimodal Multivariate Learning, 5/2022 – 8/2022
(pi) “IDEANETT: Intelligent Data Exploration & Analysis for New & Existing Transportation Technology”, NCDOT through NC Transportation Center of Excellence in Advanced Technology Safety and Policy, 2/2020 – 2/2023.
(co-PI) “UAS-based Active Hurricane Sensing with Information-theoretic Path Planning”, NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory, California Institute of Technology, PI: Ono (JPL), coPIs: Su (JPL), 1/2020 – 12/2020.
(co-pi) “Transit and Maas Role in Improving Economic and Healthcare Access for Underserved Populations”, NCDOT through NC Transportation Center of Excellence on Mobility and Congestion, PI: Monast (NCSU), co-PIs: Adivar (FSU), McDonald (UNC-CH), Adivar (FSU), 8/2020 – 7/2022.
(co-PI) “Deep Learning Software for Traffic State Prediction”, North Carolina (NC) Department of Transportation through NC Transportation Center of Excellence on Mobility and Congestion, PI: Bhattacharya (FSU), co-PIs: Adivar (FSU), Hajbabaie (NCSU), Greis (NCSU), List (NCSU), 8/2020 – 7/2022.
(Visiting Faculty) “Active Sensing under Extreme Weather Condition, 5/2021 – 8/2021
(co-pi) “Developing a Plan for Using Unmanned Aerial Vehicles for Traffic Operations Applications in Virginia”, Virginia Department of Transportation, PI Alden (VTTI), 8/2019 – 1/2021.
(co-pi) “Roadside Truck Placard Readers for Advanced Notice and Response at Safety-Critical Facilities”, Virginia Department of Transportation, PI Alden (VTTI), 11/2018-6/2019 (Phase I).
(pi) “Multi-agent Reinforcement Learning-based Pedestrian Dynamics Models for Emergency Evacuation”, United States Department of Transportation through Center For Advanced Transportation Mobility, co-PIs: Liu (ERAU), Namilae (ERAU), 5/2019 – 4/2021.
(co-PI) “Information-theoretic Route Planning for a Heli-rover Team”, NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory, California Institute of Technology, PI: Ono (JPL), coPIs: Otsu (JPL), Agah (JPL), 1/2019 – 12/2019.
(pi) “VRUPOD: Vulnerable Road User Personalized, Optimum, and Dynamic” Routing, USDOT through Center For Advanced Transportation Mobility, co-PIs: Yi, Seong (NCA&T), Owens (VTTI), Miller (VTTI), 2/2019 – 4/2020.
(pi) “VRUTOP: Vulnerable Road User Transit Optimization with healthcare Privatization”, USDOT through Center For Advanced Transportation Mobility, co-PI: Monast (NCSU), 2/2020 – 7/2021.
(Visiting Faculty) “Multiagent Autonomous Navigation under Uncertainty”, NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory, California Institute of Technology, 5/2019 – 8/2019
(pi) “Advanced Traffic Analysis of Aerial Video Data”, NCDOT through Technical Assistance Program, co-PI: Yi (NCA&T), 3/2019 – 7/2019.
(pi) “DRONETIM: Dynamic Routing of Unmanned-aerial and Emergency Team Incident Management”, USDOT through Center For Advanced Transportation Mobility, co-PIs: Yi (NCA&T), Alden (VTTI), 2/2019 – 8/2020.
(Visiting Faculty) “Autonomous Navigation under Uncertainty”, NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory, California Institute of Technology, 5/2018 – 8/2018
(single pi) Travelers’ Rationality in Anticipatory Online Emergency Response, USDOT through Center For Advanced Transportation Mobility, 2/2018 – 6/2019.
(Team Leader) “Sustainable Travel Incentives with Prediction, Optimization and Personalization” with MIT Intelligent Transportation System Lab ($3,990,128), U.S. DOE ARPA-E Traveler Response Architecture using Novel Signaling for Network Efficiency in Transportation, 1/2016 – 12/2018.
(Investigator), “Using the New SHRP2 Naturalistic Driving Study Safety Databases to Examine Safety Concerns for Older Drivers”, New England Transportation Consortium, Samuel (PI), Knodler, Gao (Co-PI), Park ($150k). 1/2017 – 7/2018.
Funded Education Projects
Advising Chancellor’s Distinguished Fellow, Department of Education Title III Program. 8/2017 – 7/2023.
Funded as a Participant
- UMass Amherst (2016-2017) GM Project Sketch, Car-Sharing and Ride-Sharing Services Proposal with Shlomo Zilberstein @ UMass Amherst
- National Transportation Center @ Maryland (2010-2016)
- Stochastic deployment of emergency vehicles considering sequence of incidents, 2015-2016 [NTC2016-SU-R-09] Link
- FHWA, Turner-Fairbank Highway Research Center, 2014-2015 Link
- Manage Highway Safety Information System for 9 States in Unites States
- I-95 Corridor Coalition vehicle probe project (Student Fellow), 2012-2015 Link – Select locations of Bluetooth sensors and compare to the data from INRIX, HERE, TomTom
- Research Scientist (2010), I managed a project with Yonsei University and LG CNS Co., Ltd.
- Urban Traffic information System Link, 2010
- Project Manager (2007-2010), I conducted research based projects and feasibility studies under the support of
- African Development Banks – The national railway master plan in Cameroun, 2009-2010 News, Link
- Vietnam Development Banks – Feasibility study for double track gauge, Hanoi-Vinh, Vietnam, 2007 LinkFeasibility study for elevated Highway, Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam, 2007
- Asian Development Banks – Feasibility study for Katunayake and Padeniya road, Sri Lanka, 2008-2010Feasibility study for elevated Highway, Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam, 2007
- Seoul Metropolitan Government -Basic design of Seoul public transportation, 2008-2010Transportation management of the Seoul, 2008Traffic impact assessment of Seoul, 2007Design of Seoul Bus Information System, 2007 Youtube Feasibility study for HOV, HOT, Express Lanes, Seoul Outer Beltway, 2007
- Local Government Agencies – Design of traffic safety services, Uijeonbu, 2008Increased mobility for handicapped traffic, Yanju, 2007-2009
- As a Research Assistant (2005-2007), I worked for following projects
- Improvement measures on metro transportation of Gyeonggi, 2007Traffic impact assessment for Road Osong-Administration City, 2007Design of Bucheon Bus information system, 2006Design of Incheon Bus information system, 2006 Feasibility Study of Road GwangJu High-Tech Industries, 2005Feasibility study of detailed design for 11 national roads, 2005Development of traffic information fusion and traffic flow analysis tool, 2005Design of a transportation management system GwangJu Ring Road, 2005Review of the 5–year plan for national and provincial roads, 2005Development of Seoul Transport Operation and Information System, 2005 youtube