Welcome to LEARN Lab directed by Hyoshin (John) Park, PhD Assistant Professor with research outcomes sponsored by NSF, VDOT, NCDOT, USDOT, DOE, and NASA JPL. Click left top Menu or scroll down to see various activities.
Hyoshin “John” Park, Ph.D., assistant professor of computational data science and engineering (CDSE) at North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University, was recently awarded a patent to solve traffic congestion using optimized relocation and placement of portable sensors. Park noted while the potential benefits are great for optimized sensor deployment, the challenges associated with solving […]
As another hurricane season begins, a computational science and engineering faculty member and two Ph.D. students at North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University aim to improve tropical forecasting and modeling by deploying drones to collect data from the eye of hurricanes. Hyoshin Park, Ph.D., and Ph.D. candidates Larkin Folsom and Justice Darko will explore […]
Imagine you are a food writer for a magazine, sent to a city for a day to discover and report on local cuisine. You have three meals (breakfast, lunch, and dinner) over which to gather information and maximize your visit to create the clearest impression for your readers. As you come into town, you have […]
Larkin Folsom receiving one of 2019 Outstanding Students of the Year Award at the Annual meeting of TRB2020, during the Council of University Transportation Centers Banquet, recognized by US Department of Transportation. Published here,
Finding the best driving route for a Mars rover isn’t as easy as turning on a navigation app – but John Park and Hiro Ono want to make it so. A program at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory is helping them turn their idea into a reality, all while promoting diversity in STEM. A tenure-track faculty […]
Research Output Explicit Forward Glance Duration Hidden Markov Model for Inference of Spillover Detection, H. Park, N. Pugh, J. Darko, L. Folsom, S. Samuel, In: Stanton N. (eds) Advances in Human Factors of Transportation AHFE 2019. Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing, vol 964. Springer, Cham, 2019 Modeling effects of forward roadway glance durations on latent hazard […]
Recent Good News!
- USDOT Newsletter Spotlight discusses recent research on Traveler Rationality and Resource Allocation shown here Project lists click.
- Dr. Park’s United States Patent Application USSN 16/254,474 “Transportation Infrastructure Location and Redeployment” has been awarded.
- An interesting project sponsored by NASA JPL “UAS-based Active Hurricane Sensing with Information-theoretic Path Planning” started in collaboration with Hui Su (Principal, Engineering and Science Directorate) from Stratosphere and Upper Troposphere (329D) and Masahiro Ono (Research Technologist) from Robotic Surface Mobility (347F).
- PhD Candidate Larkin Folsom received one of 2019 Outstanding Students of the Year Award at the Annual meeting of TRB2020, during the Council of University Transportation Centers Banquet Published here, recognized by US Department of Transportation. More Details
- Nigel Pugh, Chancellor’s PhD Student Fellow will be at NASA JPL this summer 2020!
- 4 Papers have been accepted for the 2nd Transportation Science and Logistics Society (TSL2020) Conference, Washington DC, May, 2020.
- 2 Papers have been accepted for the 8th International Symposium on Transport Network Reliability (INSTR’2020), Stockholm, Sweden, 24-26 June, 2020.
- 1 Paper has been accepted for the Forum on Integrated And Sustainable Transportation Systems (ISTS2020), Delft, The Netherlands, November 2020.
- 5 Papers have been presented at the 99th Annual Meeting of Transportation Research Board ( TRB2020), Washington D.C. January 2020.
If you are interested, book appointment below with your resume and a specific contribution to the projects listed on this webpage.